NYFN Women is the Nigeria Young Farmers Network entity dedicated to promoting, strengthening, supporting, empowering girls and women in Agriculture.
Gender equality and the empowerment of women in agriculture is key to Agricultural development in Nigeria. NYFN Women was established to accelerate progress on meeting the needs of women in Agriculture nationwide.
It is a known fact that Nigerian women play important roles in food and agriculture. Global Statistics reports that women small holder farmers constitute 70-80 percent of the agricultural labour force in Nigeria. They are responsible for the bulk of food produced for domestic consumption and they are the drivers of food processing, marketing and preservation.
Despite all the huge tasks they accomplish, they have limited access critical resources such as; land, credit facilities farm input training and advice, technology and crop insurance among other things.
Women small farm-holders have just 14% holding rights on land where they farm, in spite of their strategic roles in food production, government hardly focuses on supporting them. It is estimated that if women had the same access to finance, land, technology, and training advice as men, they could contribute significantly to the achievement of the Food Security and Global Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s).
Critical Challenges we seek to Address
The NYFN is a strong and vibrant community of partners who through their strategic engagements, investments and influence, foster shared prosperity in Nigeria. The NYFN primarily seeks to build and continuously develop a learning community for young Nigerians and social investors through educational programs and match-making services, so as to inform and enhance the development impact of their activities.
NYFN Women supports NYFN Member States as they set national standards for achieving gender equality in agriculture, and works with governments, private sector and civil society to design laws, policies, programmes and services needed to ensure that the standards are effectively implemented and truly benefit women and girls nationwide.
NYFN Women works globally like the UN Women to make the vision of the Sustainable Development Goals a reality for women and girls and stands behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life, focusing on four strategic priorities:
- NYFN Women lead, participate in and benefit equally from governance systems
- NYFN Women in have income security, decent work and economic autonomy
- All NYFN women and girls live a life free from all forms of abuse and violence
- NYFN Women and girls contribute to and have greater influence in building sustainable peace and resilience, and benefit equally from the prevention of natural disasters and conflicts and humanitarian
NYFN Women also coordinates and promotes program’s work in advancing gender equality, and in all deliberations and agreements linked to the 2030 Agenda.
- Mobilize young girls and women to get involved and harness in the opportunities in
- Strengthen the capacity of girls and women to demand for gender equality, transparency, accountability in the
- Improve small holder women farmers’ skill to engage policy makers for gender sensitive, policy and programs at all levels.
- Increase public awareness of the gender-stakeholders and the general
- Create business linkages and market access for women in
- Provide access to global partnerships and collaboration
NYFN WOMEN designs, develops and implement programs, projects and activities for uplifting girls and women through Agriculture. NYFN Women collaborates with all relevant stakeholders and project activities nationwide, and partners with small holder women farmers’ associations to support rural women in agriculture. NYFN Women does the following:
- Mobilize NYFN Women nationwide through NYFN GEAR
- Facilitates advocacy meetings with policy makers, relevant change-agents and organizations.
- Identify gaps and inefficiencies mitigating women development through agriculture
- Train and build skills for women across the value chain
- Facilitate the identification and mobilization of women farmers’ group for trainings in formal and informal meetings.
- Attract funding and support for NYFN Women activities
36 States and FCT
Flagship program initiatives
NYFN Women has developed a series of flagship programmes to deepen its efforts and achieve transformative results. These high-impact, scalable initiatives build on and supplement NYFN Women’s ongoing programming work. Using a human-rights-based approach focused on strengthening the voice of women and girls in Agriculture, they seek to remove structural barriers to gender equality and women’s empowerment in the sector.
- Raise A Million Women Farmers (a deliverable of NYFN Raise A Million Farmers project)
- NYFN Women Training Centre
- Rural Rugged Women Farmers initiative
- Adopt-A-Woman-in-Agriculture program
- Nurture the Future initiative (a deliverable of NYFN Schools program)
- Farmily Market Konnect
- Movement for the Advancement of Women in Agriculture (MOWA) Annual program for advocacy and support
Innovation and Technology
Innovation and technology provide unprecedented opportunities to break trends and reach those who are the most likely to be left behind. This is why NYFN Women has prioritized innovation technology as one of the “drivers of change” within its Strategic Plan
In local and international intergovernmental forums NYFN Women come together to debate and seek agreement on global gender equality norms and standards for the Agricultural Sector.
When different parts of the nationwide system act together, they can deliver greater results—and maximize the use of scarce resources. Within the NYFN system, NYFN Women is mandated to lead, promote and coordinate efforts to advance the full realization of women’s rights and opportunities in Agriculture.
As a standard-setting organization, the Nigeria Young Farmers Network (NYFN) has a particular responsibility to lead by example in ensuring the equal and active participation of women at all levels of the NYFN system. This is also necessary for integrating a gendered perspective into NYFN policies and programmes.
Training for gender equality and women’s empowerment is an essential component for NYFN Women’s commitment to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment through Agriculture. The NYFN Women Training Center (Online/Offline) provides high-quality courses, programmes and resources on key issues related to NYFN Women’s priorities as well as emerging topics.
Cutting-edge policy research, innovative new ideas and robust evidence are critical ways in which NYFN Women leads the charge in building knowledge on gender equality and women’s empowerment through Agriculture.
NYFN Women envisions a nation where communities are free of gender discrimination, and women and girls are empowered through agriculture to lead the change they want to see. But we can’t make it happen alone. Partnerships are essential, with governments and civil society groups, businesses and foundations, and committed individuals. When we bring our expertise and resources together, we become a powerful force for progre
NYFN Women relies almost entirely on voluntary financial contributions to sustain its work to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment in the Agricultural sectors.
Typically serving as central coordinating units for NYFN women’s affairs within States, NYFN national mechanisms promote the integration of gender equality measures across NYFN national policies and programmes.
Civil society, NGO’s and Development Partners are part of NYFN Women’s most important constituencies. It is a dynamic source of ideas and policy perspectives, partnerships, and support.
NYFN Women is committed to working with the private sector on common agendas leveraging collective strengths. Our multi-faceted partnerships are integrated into public affairs, philanthropy, marketing and communications strategies.