About NYFN Women (JOIN HERE)
NYFN Women is the Nigeria Young Farmers Network entity dedicated to promoting, strengthening, supporting, empowering girls and women in Agriculture.
Gender equality and the empowerment of women in agriculture is key to Agricultural development in Nigeria. NYFN Women was established to accelerate progress on meeting the needs of women in Agriculture nationwide.
It is a known fact that Nigerian women play important roles in food and agriculture. Global Statistics reports that women smallholder farmers constitute 70-80 percent of the agricultural labour force in Nigeria. They are responsible for the bulk of food produced for domestic consumption and they are the drivers of food processing, marketing and preservation. Despite all the huge tasks they accomplish, they have limited access to critical resources such as; land, credit facilities farm input training and advice, technology and crop insurance among other things.
Women small farm-holders have just 14% holding rights on land where they farm, in spite of their strategic roles in food production, the government hardly focuses on supporting them. It is estimated that if women had the same access to finance, land, technology, and training advice as men, they could contribute significantly to the achievement of the Food Security and Global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Critical Challenges we seek to address
- issues of gender equality and discrimination against women. Women are still voiceless in decision-making and policy
- greater participation of women to enable them to lead the agricultural sector and also mainstream gender issues in policies and programs in
- effective participation in the agro-allied decision-making and leadership
- wealth creation and socio-economic development of women
The NYFN is a strong and vibrant community of partners who through their strategic engagements, investments and influence, foster shared prosperity in Nigeria.
The NYFN primarily seeks to build and continuously develop a learning community for young Nigerians and social investors through educational programs and match-making services, so as to inform and enhance the development impact of their activities.
What We Do
NYFN Women supports NYFN Member States as they set national standards for achieving gender equality in agriculture, and works with governments, the private sector and civil society to design laws, policies, programs and services needed to ensure that the standards are effectively implemented and truly benefit women and girls nationwide.
NYFN Women works globally like the UN Women to make the vision of the Sustainable Development Goals a reality for women and girls and stands behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life, focusing on four strategic priorities:
- NYFN Women lead, participate in and benefit equally from governance systems
- NYFN Women in have income security, decent work and economic autonomy
- All NYFN women and girls live a life free from all forms of abuse and violence
- NYFN Women and girls contribute to and have greater influence in building sustainable peace and resilience, and benefit equally from the prevention of natural disasters and conflicts and humanitarian
NYFN Women also coordinates and promotes program’s work in advancing gender equality, and in all deliberations and agreements linked to the 2030 Agenda.